SENA: Our History
The South End Neighborhood Association was first formed almost 20 years ago.
Joel Daves was just elected Mayor, following the term of Nancy Graham, who was West Palm Beach’s first “strong mayor” form of government.
City Place was just completed and Clematis St. was becoming a “happening” place!
The north end neighborhoods were already very active and had already formed a coalition of neighborhood associations, called Northend Coalition of Neighborhoods, or NCON. Similarly, the new private gated homeowner associations in the western communities were becoming an ever increasing voice impacting the decisions at City Hall.
Residents in the South End realized it was our turn to get organized and get involved.
We began to see immediate results, thanks to Commissioner Bill Moss and newly elected Commissioner Kimberly Mitchell, who became South End champions on our behalf!
City Hall started paying attention to the South End Neighborhood Association, which immediately became SENA, by including many South End infrastructure improvements, which have resulted in much of today’s quality of life features.
- Dixie Highway and Olive were turned from one-way, high speed thoroughfares, into two-way traffic streets.
- Residential streets received sidewalks and curbs.
- Downzoning of residential properties along S. Flagler Drive was prevented.
- The 8111 S. Dixie Hwy. property was purchased by the City for future benefit to the South End residents.
- The first municipal golf course redesign was planned and completed.
- A new PGA of America golf course redevelopment project as a golf course only is underway.
- A new S. Olive Park tennis center has been completed.
- Suma Beach has been established as a passive use park.
- South End crime prevention programs were implemented.
- Phipps Park and neighborhood tree planting initiatives.
Thank you to all the past and current residents that have been a part of all the major successes and the minor successes not even mentioned!
There is so much more to be done. We need ALL South End residents and families to be part of our future growth and successes.
If you are not a current SENA member, please join NOW!
If you’re already a SENA member, thank you! Be sure to check the Community Calendar for the date of our next SENA membership meeting and other events.
And if you haven’t completed the most recent Issue Survey, please take the time to provide us your input!